Thank you to Mark for submitting the following question:

I’ve heard that trainers need to complete a unit on Language, Literacy and Numeracy. What is the unit, who needs to do it and when does this need to be completed? I completed my TAE a year ago, do I still need to undertake the unit?

Reply by Maciek Fibrich – VET Consultant

In short, when the Training and Assessment Training Package is revised in July 2014 (anticipated date), ALL new and existing trainers will need to hold, or demonstrate equivalent competency, in the unit TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills by no later than 30 June 2015.

The main driver for this is that TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills will become a core unit within the Certificate IV in Training and Assessment. This is anticipated to happen mid 2014.

The changes mean, that regardless of when you undertook your qualification, you will need to comply by holding the TAELLN411 Address adult language, literacy and numeracy skills (formerly TAELLN401A) or demonstrate equivalent competency. IBSA have said the TAELLN401A is equivalent to TAELLN411, so if you already hold TAELLN401A, you already comply.

If you do not hold either LLN unit, you do have a few options. You can achieve competency in TAELLN411 through a learning and assessment pathway or an assessment-only pathway. If you are planning on undertaking the TAE40110 Certificate IV in  Training and Assessment you would be well-advised to include TAELLN411 as an elective. Your other option is to demonstrate equivalent competency. This is where your employing RTO accepts that you have broadly achieved the outcomes and standard of performance of a unit of competency and that your current competency is considered equivalent for auditing purposes. Recognition of competency is not necessarily transferable to another RTO as you are not awarded a Statement of Attainment.

My suggestion, find a quality provider that will provide you with the required knowledge and skill to better you as a Trainer and Assessor and use it as part of your continuing professional development. More information can be found on the IBSA website or visiting

Watch this space, as much of the information provided will depend on the release date of the revised TAE qualification.